People of South Asia & Subcontinent like Pakistan, Afghanistan & Some Parts of India are familiar with Peshawari Chappal., It might be possible that they call it ‘Saplai’, ‘Kheri‘ or Peshawari Chappal but at least once the must have worn this ‘footwear. Peshawari Chappals are part of South Asian Culture, Weddings, Eid, Diwali, Christmas & celebrations are taken incomplete with addition of Peshawari Chapppal into the attire. Due to its low price customized size and designs alongwith durability people use to wear Peshawari Chappals in their daily life. The name “ Peshawari Chappal come might from the city “Peshawar” but people at that town call this chappal saplai. However in Punjab province it is known as ‘Kheri’.
The Peshawari chappal (Pashto: پېښوري څپلی, Urdu: پیشاوری چپل) is a traditional type of footwear of Pashtuns, worn especially by Pashtuns in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region. The shoe takes its name from the city of Peshawar, where it originates. While chappal is the word for flip-flops or sandals in Urdu, locals in Peshawar call the Peshawari Tsaplay (Pashto: څپلی ). The shoes are worn by men casually or formally, usually with the shalwar kameez. Because of their comfort, they are worn in place of sandals or slippers in Pakistan.
Peshawari chappals for women
Although traditionally worn by the men of the region, the shoe style has piqued the interest of Pakistani women. After Nooruddin Shinwari presented the pair to Imran Khan, Khan’s then wife Reham Khan said she would like a pair for herself. Many fashion brands in Pakistan, such as Mochari and Chapter 13, have started making Peshawai chappals for women.
History Of Peshawari Chappal:
Some of the historians narrate that it was first designed in current design at the end of 19th Century. Initially it was worn by Khans (Tribal Leaders) Later it become part of casual attire of Pushtoons. It as famous in Afghanistan as in Pakistan.
It was famous with Kameez shalwar till 1990 when famous cricketer turn politician Mr. Imran Khan appeared on Television Interview with Peshawari Chappal along with combination of Jeans / Denim Pant in last few years if his career. Later on it become part of normal attire of Pakistan with viral effect. Now more than 100 factories are dedicated making Peshawari Chappal on daily basis with capacity of 10-1000 Chappals per day.
Making of Peshawari Chappal:
Peshawari Chappals are Handmade Sandals usually worn by Pushtoons across the globe.Frequently called “Kheri”, Peshawari chappals make up a little scale business that give a living to numerous shoemakers who spend their days occupied in making, sewing and fitting the shoes.It is made in immaculate cowhide. Some elastic material is additionally utilized. I think most Peshawari chappals are pretty much the same, however the outlines are distinctive.No less than a hundred years of age. These chappals, at first were made in the city of Peshawar. The Procedure of Making a Peshawari Chappal Includes In the first place it is calfskin cutting, then the sole-production handle which is made of tyre. Sewing is finished by needle or the machine. At long last the fitting of the Peshawari chappal happens.
It is a semi-closed shoe which consists of two wide straps crossed and joined with the sole, plus a heel strap with a buckle to tie according to the foot size and level of comfort. It is traditionally made with pure leather with its sole often made from a truck tyre. It is available in many traditional designs and colours with various variations such as gold and silver embroidery, which give the shoe a more elegant look. Peshawari chappals have become increasingly popular in other parts of Pakistan; even wearing them with jeans has become a fashion trend, especially among urban youth. With increased availability through e-commerce websites, they are now appearing in new designs in many cities of Pakistan and Dubai.
Peshawari chappals are made from soft leather which is sewn onto the rubber tyre sole. The materials are cheap, easily available and very hard-wearing. Intricate designs are added to the leather upper before the shoe is put into a mould which stretches it to size.
Famous Designs Of Peshawari Chappal:
- Some of the Famous Designs of Kheri, Saplai or Peshawari Chappal are
- Charsadda Chappal:
- Charsadda Chappal is one of the most famous and low cost type of Peshawari Chappal, It is made of Tyre sole alongwith highcrome Leather. It was orginated in the famous city of Charsadda, Pukhtoonkhua
- Kaptaan Chappal:
- Kaptaan Chappal is famous due to Cricketer turn politician Mr. Imran Khan. It is Thick Sole Charsadda Style Chappal with Cross Cuts in front. This Chappal is famous in many colors specialy tanned color.
- Khyber Chappal:
- Khyber Chappal is style which is worn usually tribal areas it is long font with gap at toe.
- Afridi Chappal:
- Afridi Chappal is similar to Khyber Chappal but it usually worn by Afridis from FATA, Pakistan also famous due to cricketer Shahid Afridi.
- Norozi Chappal:
- Nurozi Chappal is style which mostly used by Pushtoons, Punjabian and Baloch. This Chappal is made of Thick tyre sole with hard highcrome leather chappal is thrice stitched with hand. It has two types cut Norozi and round Norozi.
- Lahori Chappal:
- It is similar to round norozi with thin sole it and it is stiched once only with folds out.
- Classic Peshawari Chappal:
- Classic Peshawari Chappal is famous design due to which Saplai got famous.
Not only in Pakistan Peshawari Chappal is also famous across the world. Once famous Western footwear brand was spotted in branding of Peshawari Chappal. It is worn by people from every race without any discrimination.